To begin, we ate everything in the pantry and freezer. I realized I am a collector of food. I like to have it around just in case we might need something for a recipe. Now I am planning out our meals and buying what we need for the recipes for the current week. I actually use a calculator as I walk through the store so I do not go over my allotted amount.
We each carry a credit card hidden deep in our wallets in case of an emergency. So far, no emergencies.
Some of you are rolling your eyes now or have completely tuned out this post - and I agree, this is not the fun part of life - figuring out how to save money, be more responsible with spending and waiting to make purchases. We are a want it now, pay for it later type of society.
And after a month of this, I have asked myself these questions:
- Is it less convenient? Yes.
- Will I go back to debit cards? Possibly, but not yet.
- Am I paying down some bills? Yes.
- Are the tradeoffs worth it? So far, yes.
- Is anyone suffering from the changes? I have not seen any yet, nor have I heard complaints.