Monday, December 21, 2009
Magic Marker Monday: Graham Cracker House
Over the years with the help of a carpenter husband, the house has grown in size and intricacy. One year, the roof made from Big Red gum, looked like slate. Now with the kids involved, we make the building and the kids decorate.
For the past two years, we have had a Graham Cracker House Building Party and several families from the neighborhood join us. Each family brings their own house setup and we all share the candy we bring. It's a lot of fun!
• Approx a 12” x 12” cardboard or baking pan covered tightly in tin foil. This will serve as the platform for the house. If you use a baking pan, make sure it is not one you will need soon.
• A cardboard foundation for the house such as individual juice boxes (taped together), box from snacks, cut off the bottom of a ½ gallon OJ or milk carton. This will determine the size of your house. I recommend small for your first one.
• One-two boxes (depending on how big you want to make it) of honey graham crackers – any brand.
• Tape the foundation firmly to the cardboard.
• Mini marshmallows
• Tootsie Rolls
• Green leaf candy
• Gum drops, assorted colors
• Red & White Peppermint candies
• Mini candy canes
• Chewing gum – Big Red
• Red Hots
• Chocolate sprinkles
• Rainbow sprinkles
Royal Icing Recipe (The edible glue)
• 3 egg whites - frothy
• 1 lb confectioner's sugar - about 4 cups
• Sift with 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
• Add together
• Beat 5-10 minutes until right consistency
Keep covered with a wet paper towel so it does not dry out. It can dry out quickly so make icing just before using. To use, put in a small plastic baggie with a small hole cut in the corner, then use like a pastry bag to let the icing out.
Magic Marker Monday is a creation through 5 Minutes for Special Needs, a website full of information, blogs and discussion groups. One way to celebrate life is to see it through art, and this site helps us share our children's creative masterpieces. Please check out the site.
Posted by VMI at 7:00 AM