Our mornings are hectic just like everyone else's. I found myself yelling more than I like to so I came up with this crazy idea - and it is working.
We all went to the trophy store and chose three trophies. The trophies were "engraved" with one of these:
- Today's Winner: Good Breakfast Eater
- Today's Winner: Excellent at Following Directions
- Today's Winner: Showing Good Behavior
- Each morning, Ben, Logan and Sean have the opportunity to receive one or more of the trophies.
- At the end of the morning, they may be presented with a trophy.
- Not everyone has to get a trophy.
- The winner keeps the trophy in their room for the day (think Stanley Cup).
- At night, the trophy goes back on the shelf in the kitchen, ready for the next morning's ceremony.
- My focus is on the boys' good behavior, rather than the things they are doing wrong. I am yelling less.
- Since I am in charge of giving out the trophies, I am looking for positive behavior because I want them to succeed.
- Kids are involved in the solution. They know what is expected to get one of the three trophies, so their focus is on the goal.
All three trophies cost $16. Small price to pay for peace.